JAZZ HOUSE KiDS is a nationally recognized and award-winning nonprofit music education and performance organization headquartered in Montclair, NJ. JAZZ HOUSE KiDS produces the MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL and the JAZZ HOUSE Summer Workshop every August, which presents an excellent opportunity for interns to see many aspects of festival + event production and nonprofit administration during the summer. Every effort is made to custom-design an internship that meets the objectives of the intern and the needs of the organization. We seek dynamic and highly motivated individuals for exciting internship positions during the Summer of 2020.
Internships are available in several areas including:
- Jazz Festival/Concert Production,
- Non-Profit Management,
- Marketing/Communications, and
- Workshop Management.
These exciting positions require highly motivated, entrepreneurial, and organized candidates with excellent verbal and written communication skills. Suitable candidates must be able to manage deadlines in a fast-paced work environment. Interest in working with youth, educators, and musicians is key. Proficiency using social media platforms is critical. Strong administrative and computer skills (Excel, Word, etc.) and proven research abilities are fundamental. This position requires creative thinking, strong independent work skills, and intellectual curiosity. Interns work closely with experts in key nonprofit fields of this growing organization. Selected interns may work for one or more of the following departments:
- Marketing/Communications: Media relations, social media, advertising, grassroots communication, newsletter writing, photo archiving, publications development, planning and execution, tracking, website development, graphic design, video editing. Excellent writing and communication skills and proficiency using social media platforms is critical.
- Publicity Assistant: This an entry-level position that will expose you to every aspect of publicity. Applicants must be active followers of news and current events, especially as they pertain to music, arts, and social media. Strong computer, writing, organizational, and research skills are required.
- Festival/Concert Production (3): Join the MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL team! Administrative support, vendor relations, volunteer coordination, parking and transportation, planning and logistics related to the production of events for community, sponsors, and family audiences. Experience in concert production preferred.
- Summer Workshop: Support our 2-week summer camp in the areas of administrative office, social media, student relations, logistics, event support and planning, and be a part of the MONTCLAIR JAZZ Excellent organizational and spreadsheet skills required.
- Development: Be a part of the JAZZ HOUSE KiDS mission by learning aspects of fundraising, effective leadership, donor cultivation, corporate sponsorships, business and financial management. Strong organizational skills required.
- Musical Equipment Management: Join the equipment team! Handling inventory and organizing equipment needs for various ensembles at JAZZ HOUSE Summer Workshop and leading up to the MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL for all student, alumni ensembles. Knowledge of production procedures, physical stamina + strength,ability to handle heavy equipment, and knowledge of musical instruments are all
In exchange for honing skills in fields of interest, interns will gain first-hand experience and insight into working in the nonprofit sector across a variety of platforms under the tutelage of a passionate team of professionals and world-class artists. Throughout the summer, interns will have the opportunity to participate in forums and network with professionals in a broad spectrum of fields with relationships to JAZZ HOUSE KiDS.Application DeadlineOngoing – Applications are currently being accepted for Summer 2020 internships
Program Start Date: Monday, June 1, 2020.
Location: The Jazz House, 347 Bloomfield Ave. Lower Level, Montclair, NJ 07042. Easily accessible by public transportation (train + bus) and free parking is available.
Time Requirements: Our office is open from 9:30am to 6pm on weekdays. We are seeking interns who can commit to at least 3 days per week for 10-12 weeks.Hours will increase from August 3rd through August 15th, extremely long days can be expected in the days leading up to the festival. Preference will be given to those who can commit to a full-time schedule during that time.All summer interns, regardless of focus, will be required to sign up to participate in 4-5 Festival and Workshop related events such as:
- Montclair 4th of July Parade – July 4th
- Volunteer Training – Date TBD
- Montclair Farmers Markets – Dates TBD in July
- Sponsor Mixer – Date TBD
- DJ Brother Mister Dance Party – August 1, 2020
- First Day of the Summer Jazz Workshop – August 3, 2020
- Summer Jazz Workshop Family BBQ – Date TBD
- Workshop Concert at Dizzy’s in NYC – August 10th
- Workshop Concerts at MSU – August 12th +13th
- Jazz on Church Street – August 8th
- Festival Post Party – August 15th
- Various Events During the Two-Week Festival Footprint – August 1st – August 15th
- Cultivation, board, or committee meetings
- Other events as scheduledAll summer interns are required to be available the full day of the MONTCLAIR JAZZ FESTIVAL on Saturday, August 15th, approximately 7am-12am.
- And event interns should be available for festival load-in on Friday, August 14th, approximately 8am-9pm.
- Pursuing BS/BA
- Prefer GPA of 3.0 or higher
- Musicians strongly preferred
- An interest in music and nonprofit administration
- Excellent oral, written, and communication/presentation skills
- Spanish language skill is a plus
Physical Demands: Must be able to move objects or equipment up to 25 pounds.
Compensation: A flat fee weekly stipend is provided to cover transportation, parking, and lunch. We are willing to provide professional mentorship and administrative reporting to satisfy requirements so that students may also earn academic credit.
About Jazz House Kids:
Jazz House Kids is the only community organization in New Jersey exclusively dedicated to year-round jazz education. At the Jazz House in Montclair, we work with more than 250 young musicians in our year-long classes, ensembles, and summer camp from 40 school districts. We also host several special events throughout the year including a wine tasting fundraiser in February; private salons; more than 50 Jazz House Kids student performances in the community; community events for International Jazz Month in April; student performance concerts and field trips; a master class and public concert with jazz luminaries in June; and in August, a first-class free jazz festival with nationally known jazz headliners and summer camp students attended by more than 8,000 people.
Job Type: Internship
Salary: $100.00 /week